Credit Blacklists And Employment

Discussion in 'Debt Collection' started by Fabio, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Fabio

Fabio New Member

In Brazil, it's illegal to use any sort of blacklist when you're looking for a job. But many companies check your credit anyway, and some even tell upfront they'll do it, and check you from time to time. Specially companies that work with banks, maybe it's some sort of agreement between them?

Anyway, I think it's terrible, in your darkest moment, you're denied what you most need to solve it.

2. johnnystarr

johnnystarr New Member

It's becoming very hard to survive in this materialist society, I live in Italy and so far I haven't heard about a similar procedure. They're making life really difficult, behaving this way. Treating workers as inferior people, instead of collaborators, will get them nowhere. It will cause the economy situation to worsen, in the long run.

3. Susan

Susan New Member

If you are going to work in a bank or any financial institution here they do check your credit and if you don't have good credit then they won't hire you.
    They make that known when you are applying for the job so that you don't wait their time or yours by applying for the job when you know that you will
    not pass a credit check. I don't think it is fair because just because people have fallen on hard times doesn't make them an unemployable person.

4. sheebah7

sheebah7 New Member

This is true in the U.S. Companies especially financial institutions...check to see how well we are able to budget money and if you are responsible with your money. The thought behind this practice is how well you treat your personal finances/life...is relevant to how you may be as an employee.

5. MichelleVL

MichelleVL New Member

I think it's totally unfair that while looking for employment that you are judged by your credit. Sometimes your life's circumstances change. Take the financial crisis that hit the US a few years back. No one was safe. There were big company and Wall Street executives that had to become bus boys and janitors to survive. Even they messed up their credit scores for lack of better jobs at the time. You would find honest people, that spent a large chunk for their lives preparing themselves and going to colleges so that they didn't;t have to take those types of jobs and have a better quality of life and they still fell into a financial sink hole. Is it fair that even if they had exceptional work ethics that they be judged by having a bad credit score for several years? I hardly thinks so. Besides, if a person is qualified and is looking for a job, it's because they need the money, and what they do with that money is their problem. It is supposed to be a democracy after all.

6. Zeta

Zeta Member

I think that using credit scores as one of the basis for hiring people constitutes discrimination, this is more so if the job in question does not even involve money management tasks. A lot of good employees have fallen into the debt trap because of the economic crunch and the difficulty of landing a new job and it's really not fair to deprive them of the opportunity to be employed again because of their present financial situation. The problem is, banks and financial institutions do have access to these information and they can check an applicant's records and use the reports to hire or reject an applicant for a post. The higher the position you are applying for, the deeper they will dig into your background. I would steer clear of such companies if I have a negative credit rating and focus on applying with other industries where I'll have better chances of being hired.

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

The credit background is very important here unlike before when companies do not check the credit profile of the applicant. In my wife's office, an employee who is being promoted to the supervisory level undergoes a credit background check. One of her staff whom she had recommended was denied the promotion because of an outstanding bad debt in her credit card. That was a neat lesson for everyone because they did not know that reneging on the credit card payments can affect the standing in the company.