Fraud protection

Discussion in 'Phishing and Scam Emails' started by Alexandoy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Email below coming from sender "Y!-Shutdown Notification" <[email protected]>

Dear E-Client!

Important update is required to upgrade your account storage capacity.

All efforts is to ensure safety and give the best of our services to every users.

Proceed by clicking the "Upgrade Now" link below to upgrade.

Valid from expiration Upgrade
    Sep 14, 2016
    Sep 17, 2016 Upgrade Now
    Your mailbox security is our primary concern.

Tips:
    This message is sent by an automated machine. Please do not reply.

Thanks,
    Yahoo Member Services

2. Billy

Billy Active Member

Email addresses have terabytes of storage. I also delete spams everyday so there is no way my storage will run out. You have to be super gullible to fall for this one.

3. Fuzyon

Fuzyon Member

Yeah.. this one is poorly done. First off the email address doesn't seem official at all and the email is really lacking in content. Most of the time official emails like these have a lot of paragraphs and a lot more information, not just a fishy link and a few lines of text.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd imagine that most people these days that have even a small knowledge of scams will be able to see right through that email and delete it without any concern whatsoever as it's clearly just yet ANOTHER phishing scam that's going around. What I don't understand is why people are still falling for these types of emails as surely anybody can see that they aren't genuine?

The Nigerian bank account scam s doing the rounds again also, and I've had 3 emails in the last day all saying that if I fill in my details I will be instantly sent a million dollars via Paypal. Something tells me that isn't a genuine email as well. Come on, it's not rocket science is it to realise that they are just after your details and there isn't a Nigerian king sat there waiting to give you a small fortune for no reason whatsoever!

5. precaution

precaution Active Member

I think the success rate of these scams would be very low as net users are becoming more and more informed of the situation. But the scammers are not discouraged by this. Even if a small fraction of the users (mostly newbie) believe these scams, the scammers are at gain. Once they receive a follow-up mail from the prey then they know how to take it forward.

Daily large number of people are being introduced in to Internet world and these scammers mainly aim them as easy target. They take advantage of basic human natures like greed and shortcuts.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

It would be legit for the email is direct in telling you. What's wrong if you're going to upgrade it. Have you tried doing what they are requesting you? And what is the result? If there is something messy when they reply you, then you may conclude that it's not legit.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

You are right of course, and with the scams targeting the bigger fish so to speak, even if just one person falls for the scam then it can net the fraudsters a fortune. I think in the past they was targeting the smaller accounts and was quiet happy to just get the lower amounts of a few different people, but lately it seems as though they are targeting specific people and accounts that they know can net them a small fortune but for doing a lot less effort.

8. kingcool52

kingcool52 Member

First off like said above the email sender is definately not at all professional and it just gives it away straight away. I mean what kind of professional service/company uses this as an email - [email protected]. And I don't think a legit email would have such little content without any proper explanation as to why an upgrade is needed and specific instructions on how to do it