How Do You Avoid Getting So Many Telemarketing Calls?

Discussion in 'Debt Collection' started by Catie Hutchens, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Catie Hutchens

Catie Hutchens New Member

So how do you all not get so many telemarketing calls? I get so aggrevated when I get call after call every day people trying to sell me something or trying to steal my personal information. I have learned that you can block a call after they call you so they are not allowed to call anymore which has cut down some. What do you all do to avoid so many unwanted calls? Press forward everytime you see a number you do not know?

2. Binu

Binu Member

When I get a new phone connection, I always get a new number, I never purchase a number used by someone else. If you are using a new number, it is lesslikely to get telemarketing calls.
    I also avoid giving my phone number to the websites, organizations or people I barely know. I keep my number with family, friends and associates. By not distributing phone number to many people, I can avoid telemarketers.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Our office phone gets so many calls sometimes and some of those calls are telemarketers. Unlike our home phone where we had installed an answering machine, it is improper for an office phone to have the same. But what I suggest is for the office phone to have a caller ID gadget so at least you can note down the numbers of the telemarketers - surely they make repeat calls - so the next time they call, you can just ignore or lift and hang up. And in case when you answer the call, try to be diplomatic but firm in refusing their offer.

4. Ram

Ram New Member

I do not want to block any calls from telemarketers or behave them rudely. If it is a first-time call, I will attend the phone and tell politely that I am not interested on that particular product or service and will hang up. If the same call is repeated I will simply ignore it without wasting my time. If I do not attend their calls consciously the telemarketers will withdraw from their repeated attempts gradually, if they have common sense.

5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Once you are subscribed to a telephone company, you can not do away with such coming from various telemarketers. They have a random list of subscribers and they are calling them every minute, every hour. I would suggest the practical way of controlling those unexpected calls from the telemarketers is and install an ID caller and forward their numbers to the telcos. Another is answered the call politely and close the deal. Or the other one is to hang up the phone and leave for a minute before replacing the receiver.

6. Billy

Billy Active Member

You can simple ask the telemarketer in a polite way to remove your number off their list. If you do it in a polite way, they will listen to you and remove your number without any hesitation. They will also stop throwing rebuttals to to your lack of interest.

7. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That is what I used to do, but it's becoming much more difficult to stick with that. It seems like everybody thinks they are entitled to your phone number these days. In many cases, you can't register for things without giving up your phone number (as well as too much other info). I think it's ridiculous how much information we are expected to give out freely. I find it very intrusive.

8. Vyom Srivastava

Vyom Srivastava New Member

Something that you need to consider in the case of robo dialers is that if you pick up the phone, that indicates to them that your phone number is a working one. In the same way that if I knock on your door, and you yell "who is it?" through the door, I know that somebody is home - they'll know that your phone number is live, simply because you picked up.

The solution? Just don't pick up. Let it go to voicemail. Their computer will recognize it, and if it happens enough times, they'll mark your number as being "dead". They'll never leave a voicemail, they never do.

If they do keep calling, answer it, and try to speak to a person as if you were interested. Introduce yourself as "Investigator Anderson" (don't say that you're a police officer, as this is illegal in most places, just vaguely word your title in a way to the effect of "investigator" or "inspector"), and say the call may be recorded. Then ask them what the problem is.

Here's how I'd say it, upon connecting to a live person...

"Hi, this is inspector Arnold - thanks for your call. Just to let you know, this call may be recorded for investigative purposes. Please, tell me, which account of mine was cancelled? I need this for my investigation."

Hopefully that will get rid of them. Whatever you do, don't be rude with them.

9. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I wish it were that easy. I don't know how many times I asked to be added to the "do not call" list, only to have another number call, selling the same thing. That's why I just quit answering.

Avoiding giving out your number is the best idea. It's just not always feasible, if you want to sign up for other stuff. I hate that they can get away with selling your info to others.

10. melik

melik Active Member

I don't think there's such a thing as a bulletproof method to get rid of them. You can try talking to them and tell them you are not interested, but sooner or later they will call again. You can tell them that you already have the service and it's the same, they will call you again. The only thing that works is to use the caller ID and not answer until they get tired.

11. kgord

kgord New Member

I personally just don't answer the phone unless I have a pretty good idea who is calling. I feel like if it is important they will leave a message. Pretty soon, whatever calls you don't want to take are going to go away, when they can't reach you for months even the most intent caller or service is going to give up.

12. morgoodie

morgoodie New Member

I put my number on the do not call list and that cut out the calls from telemarketers. I think it only lasts for so long and then you have to put the number back on there. I don't answer the phone if it is an 800 number and will just let the answering machine get it. If it is important I will call back otherwise I will just ignore it.

13. Ghost_Writer

Ghost_Writer Member

The best way to get rid of these types of these phone calls is to answer the research they are doing, because after all... If you always stay off or giving any excuse, they will - for sure - get back with other(s) phone call(s) to you at another time. It's boring, but it hasn't a more efficient way (tip: requires an extra dose of patience and education, so.. be prepared :p).

14. Zeta

Zeta Member

My home landline hardly gets telemarketing calls simply because I don't give the number away. The only telemarketers that get through are those from the phone provider and thankfully, they've never thought of selling the information. My number is not listed in the directory either, so no one can pick it up somewhere else. I conduct most of my calls on the cellphone and it's the number I often give whenever I have to fill out a form.

15. Binu

Binu Member

I don't think this is a good idea. If you respond to their one query, they will come up with more queries. If you answer them and behave politely, they will think you as a person who is relenting easily, they will begin to frustrate with too many calls. MY advice is, hang up immediately. If they call again, block the number.

16. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Sorry, I disagree. Doing this is like painting a target on your back. You will be inundated with calls afterward.

Agreed. They aren't going to stop with one call. If they think you are receptive, not only will they call you again, but they will probably be able to sell your number to more people for more money. The calls will never stop.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail New Member

I don't believe there's a simple approach to abstain from telemarketing calls. We know there are huge amounts of telemarketing calls we got each and every day and some of them won't stop regardless of the fact that you already instructed them to stop calling or you're not interested. There's also a point that you will tell them that you will sue them if they keep on calling your house, and still after a few days or less, they'll call again.

Perhaps, as I would see it, simply let them know that you already have the item that they are selling or offering whether it's an insurance, home products or subscriptions. In that way, they'll definitely attempt to make a sale again however since you already have the item like theirs, then most likely they'll quit calling.

18. Fuzyon

Fuzyon Member

Whenever a telemarketer calls me and tries to promote something I kindly tell them that I'm not interested and to take me off of their list. You would be surprised but they actually do that, they would much rather focus on people that have the potential to be interested in their product rather than calling the same person that doesn't need anything.

19. ray

ray Member

I always register with DND/DNC that stops all telemarketing calls. I have no intention to listen useless calls which have nothing but repeating the same offers which I already know or have no intention to buy. It has happened in the past that someone still called but I reported it immediately and things were set right.