How To Deal With Tech Support Scams?

Discussion in 'Phishing and Scam Calls' started by precaution, May 22, 2016.

1. precaution

precaution Active Member

It is reported that nowadays a majority of scam cases are related to tech support incidents. If a guy calls you, introduces himself from Microsoft or some other well-known firms and if he tries to create a sense of urgency it could most probably be a scammer. But with some amount of caution we can keep ourselves safe :
    • Never give control of your PC to a third party.
    • We can’t even trust caller IDs as they know how to spoof caller ID numbers.
    • A strict NO to credit card and other sensitive details over phone.
    • Never trust a person who tries to sell anti-virus software programs over phone with great offers. He is trying to infect your PC with malicious software.
    • The best strategy would be to recheck the case by directly dialing the company.

2 people like this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

There was a time in our office that they received a call from a staff of an anti-virus (I wouldn't identify to protect the company). When I arrived in the office, the secretary reported to me that the call sounded frantic. The gist was for our anti-virus software to be updated online. The caller added that a new virus is in the loose and they suspect that our network has been invaded. And in order to update... here comes the clue... the office needs to deposit a download fee to a bank account. But there is a choice to send the money via a cell phone loading station - this is the best way for a scammer to receive money since they are not identified.

2 people like this.
  3. luisalex96

luisalex96 Member

Cybercriminals frequently utilize freely accessible telephone registries, so they may know your name and other individual data when they call you. They may even think about what working framework you're utilizing.

Once they've picked up your trust, they may request your client name and watchword or request that you go to a honest to goodness site, (for example, www.ammyy.com) to introduce programming that will give them a chance to get to your PC to settle it. When you do this, your PC and your own data are vulnerable.Do not trust spontaneous calls. Try not to give any individual data.

4. mastkesar

mastkesar Member

We should always ask for the verification or proof from the callers. If they say that they are from a big company, you should ask for any proof. The scammers will usually take the name of some big company. If they talk to you in a over standard way, you should know that it's a fake call.

5. remnant

remnant Member

Some of these calls inform the receiver that there is a software upgrade offer. When a person acquisces he is directed to a scam program or software merchandising site. One may either be asked for credit card details to pay through Paypal or sent an email to click on which is programmed with malware to skive details of the potential victim. Some of these offers are hard to detect as scam since they don't sound too good to be true.

6. Fuzyon

Fuzyon Member

Well no one from Microsoft or a bigger company would call you to offer tech support, they only get called by customers to solve problems so if someone is offering tech support for nothing it's obviously a scam. I know how frustrating it is though, a relative fell for this trap and she installed a keylogger on her computer. Fortunately she called me and I was able to get rid of the trojan before something bad happened.

7. kamai

kamai Member

This happened to me once when I was working at the airport with a call from a supposed computer tech. The funny thing was that I was actually awaiting for a call from a tech since our computer was down. I knew that it was a scammer right away because he asked for the business' credit information but I was told before hand that the tech had already been paid and when he called it was to give out his help and that was it. Later that day the real tech called and told him what had happened and he said that it was probably a guy that was fired.

8. vinaya

vinaya Member

When I take my computer to trouble shooting, I will always look for recommendations. For instance, if I don't know anyone who can trouble shoot my computer, I will ask someone I trust. I will always follow his recommendations. I don't let anyone meddle with my computer. I don't buy antivirus over phone or from a guy selling at my door.I will always buy from reputed source such as official website.

9. Decentlady

Decentlady Member

There are all kinds of cyber criminals these days. They are trying their best to loot people.

I just downloaded an antivirus trial pack for 30 days from an official webdite that I am familiar with.

I donot buy from strangers nor do I get any tech help through a phone. I am very cautious about my computer.

10. ray

ray Member

I remember the time when I was issued a credit card and activated it immediately after getting it and everything was fine with my actation as it was showing active in my account although I had not used it. I received a call that my card is not active so I must do it immediately and even offered help to do so. While talking to him I opened my account and found that my card was very much active. I asked that person to call me back in 10 minutes but he never called me back.

11. moondebi

moondebi Member

Once I got a call from a person, introducing him from a company of repute, to upgrade my laptop. Actually, mine is an old version and for some days I was trying to get some information on how to upgrade my OS. I was dealing with multiple emails, and the person might have got some clue from one of such mails. Initially, I was fooled, but when the discussion continued.. I could realize his intention.