My Own Number Calls Me!

Discussion in 'Phishing and Scam Calls' started by jnag2008, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jnag2008

jnag2008 New Member

Hello! I was wondering if anyone else has had their own number call them before. I have had it happen a few times. I have also had a number that is all zeroes call me. I think these scammers are able to change the number they are calling from, but I do not want my number being used for scams!
    Any insights will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you :)

5 people like this.
  2. Ram Shah

Ram Shah New Member

Wow I have never heard of anything similar! That certainly is interesting! No I have never had my own number call me not one which was completely zeroes! As you mentioned it probably was a scanner who changed his number but how he did it is what is interesting :p Anyway I'm probably not much help since nothing like that has happened to me but I'm definitely interested! Please update if you find out anything new!

3. jnag2008

jnag2008 New Member

I teach, and there was situation last year where prank calls were done by students. They used an app (I am not sure of the name) and they were able to change the number the called from to a teacher's number on the caller ID. They called another teacher very early in the morning. Both staff members were very upset at each other and after an investigation and some mistakes made by the students, it was all sorted out. I know some students have access to our numbers because their parents are staff members. I just do not want my number being used!

4. Susan

Susan New Member

I have had this happen to me before. The first time it happened it was a bit weird to see my own number come up but then I heard about it later on the news about how this was happening to so many people. It happened to me a number of times a few months back but I haven't had one lately. I just simply don't answer them!

5. MelissavdW27

MelissavdW27 New Member

I haven't had my own number call me. I think that would freak me out completely! I have had a number phone me that were all zeros. I just didn't answer. I don't know why I didn't answer because I wasn't so familiar with phone call scams etc. but I just looked at my phone, showed it to hubby and set it aside.

6. Brittany

Brittany New Member

Lol that is crazy! I have never had that happen to me. It sounds very interesting though.

7. precaution

precaution Active Member

That is too interesting and put us in a confused state of mind. We would be totally bewildered when we see our own number calling us. May be it has something to do with the situation mentioned by @ jnag2008.

I get a number of calls which are shown as from “unknown number”. Recently telecom operators in our country warn their subscribers not to attend any calls from unknown numbers as there is a potential threat of misuse by terrorists. Terrorist activities have been boiling up in different parts of the country for quite some time now. May be it is their new strategy.

8. gracer

gracer New Member

I have never experienced being called upon by my own number but I would definitely feel weird if I did receive a call from my own number. It's scary to know that scammers could copy and make use of one's number and you'd end up to be the one whom authorities will be looking for because of something you've never done at all.

9. Swadiddle

Swadiddle New Member

lol no, nobody has ever called me from my own number. I'm not sure what type of next-level scam that could be, but it's obviously one of the most frightening one I've ever heard of.

10. Vyom Srivastava

Vyom Srivastava New Member

I got a call from my own number (it shows my number on the caller screen). I picked it up but didn't receive any answer. Then one of my friends told me it's him using some app, just joking for fun's sake. There are many ways to do such spoof calling, mostly through VoIP. Research a bit on Robocalls if interested.

2 people like this.
  11. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

Well If I had to guess that would mean that your voicemail is calling you, right? I guess it does maybe make more sense if it is some sort of joke that you can pull on someone else, but it does seem like something that would get really frustrating really quickly, so hopefully nobody I know is thinking of using that. It is weird what some people will come up with.

12. juliets_journal

juliets_journal New Member

Wow, what a story. No I have never heard my own no call me. Honestly I would freak if it happened, but thanks to you I now know such things happen and I wouldn't worry as such.
    I have heard people receiving calls from a zeros no. That one is not new though myself I have not received.

13. Elendil

Elendil New Member

It's either a prank-calling app (yep, apparently they're there) or a masking software. However, if you had your own number call you, it's probably the former, because a masking software user would have to be either extremely stupid or extremely careless to use your own number to call you.

2 people like this.
  14. gml3048

gml3048 New Member

I've had this happened to me at least 3 times but on the third time I blocked my on number and now it doesn't happen anymore from whoever it was stupid enough to think they were going to get over on us, the ironic part is they are assuming you are going to quickly react and pick up well NOT!!! they left a voicemail and it wasn't even the person they were looking for so wrong number wrong person. Also had the 000-0000 numbers before too, but not lately. The one's I hate are the "Unknown name and Unknown number, Blocked name and Number, I'm not able to block them...yet.

15. Lecitia

Lecitia New Member

It is an app! Students these days are very smart. If you are a teacher, you have to be very careful if you. If you are a strict teacher, you have to be more careful. Lol. Kids these days use the app market so much and some smart ones create apps themselves too. I had a friend who created an app to automatically call one of his professors at 4 am every morning! Such an odd way to give trouble! Just try to install an app like "True Caller" It will give you details of anyone who is trying to call you. Good luck OP

2 people like this.
  16. precaution

precaution Active Member

That is definitely a scam. In fact it is a robo call and using some apps scammers can duplicate any ids to make calls. This is a very effective method for shock value and they may ask your personal details like credit card, bank account details etc. But can’t we just block the incoming calls from our own number, I don’t know actually.

If it is possible to block it, I think that would be better. But either way just make sure that you do not give any valuable information to the caller like bank, credit or debit card details.

17. jnag2008

jnag2008 New Member

Thank you for your response! I have blocked it immediately. I block most unknown numbers, especially if it only rang a few times. I guess all will be well as long as people are extra cautious about giving out their information.

18. jnag2008

jnag2008 New Member

Thank you for the tip on the app called "True Caller". I will be looking into that! I would very much like to know who is calling me for real rather than a disguised number. This will also help with other scam calls! Thank you again!

3 people like this.
  19. poster432

poster432 New Member

This has happened to me once before, but I just ignored it. If it happens to me again, I will definitely utilize the vast information of thread in the future!

20. djcheck

djcheck New Member

Lol! That is strange. Thankfully, this has never happened to me. I don't even know how that's possible. If I try to call myself right now, it won't happen. But, then again, I have received mail from myself in the past, so there must be a way to call yourself or for scammers to call you from a number that reads like your own somehow.